Helpful Tips and Advice

The Best Cars for Towing Caravans

While only a minority of motorists will ever pull a caravan, many manufacturers have built their cars with towing capabilities. Towing capacities can vary from car to car, as can design features which make it more – or less – easy to hitch up.

What to Look For

SUVs, other 4x4s and large estate cars with powerful diesel engines and superb stability make light work of pulling regular caravans. These kinds of vehicles usually have large towing limits.

In terms of brands, 2018 Tow Car of the Year award went to the Skoda Kodiaq SUV (2,000kg towing limit). Other popular towing cars include the Volvo XC90 SUV; the Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport hatchback; and the Skoda Octavia Scout estate.

Make Sure You Have The Right Licence

It’s very important to check that you have the correct entitlement on your licence for towing a particular caravan.

View NCC Tow Check HERE


Caravan Insurance

You are not legally required to take out caravan insurance, but if you don’t you won’t be protected from the costs associated with any accident. With caravan insurance, if you damage someone’s property or injure someone, the insurer pays out.

Motorhome & Campervan Insurance

You are required by law to take out insurance for your motorhome or campervan in the same way that you would a car. The premium you pay will depend on if you choose comprehensive, third party, or third-party fire and theft cover; the vehicle’s value; mileage; number of berths; and if it’s a manual or automatic. How much you pay will also depend on your preferred voluntary excess; previous no claims bonus; security arrangements; and whether or not it has had any modifications.

Caravan Security – When Not In Use

When not in use, fix quality clamps to your caravan and remove all personal belongings. Find a secure site or location to store your caravan. (H2) Caravan, Motorhome and Campervan Security When In Use

Ensure you lock all windows, doors and any roof lights when you leave. Never leave anything valuable on display. Store any tables, chairs or other outdoor items in the caravan if you are leaving for an extended period.

View The Caravan & Motorhome Club Insurance HERE


Licence Rules for Caravans, Motorhomes, Campervans

Do I Need a Trailer Licence?

While there is no specific trailer licence, the weight you are allowed to tow depends on what type of licence you have.

If you passed your category B driving test any time from 19 January 2013 you are permitted to tow small trailers weighing 750kg or less; or a trailer over 750kg, but only if the combined weight of the towing vehicle and the trailer is lower than 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM).

In order to tow a trailer weighing more than 750kg, when the combined weight of the towing car and the trailer exceed 3,500kg, you will need to obtain a B+E entitlement on your licence.

If you passed your driving test from 1 January 1997 onwards and have a category B licence, you can drive a vehicle up to 3,500kg MAM, while towing a trailer of up to 750kg. You can also tow a trailer exceeding 750kg MAM but only if the combined weight of the towing vehicle and the trailer do not exceed 3,500kg.

If you want to tow a trailer heavier than this then you must get a B+E entitlement.
Those who passed their test before 1 January 1997 can, in most cases, tow a trailer if the combined weight does not exceed 8350kg (8.25 tonnes) MAM. However, you should check your entitlement.

What licence do I need to drive a motorhome?

The licenced required to drive a motorhome depends how old you are, along with the vehicle’s maximum authorised mass (MAM) – the weight of the vehicle in addition to the maximum load to can take.

To drive a motorhome with a MAM of 3.5 – 7.5 tonnes, you need a category C1 entitlement.

To drive a motorhome with a MAM of 7.5 tonnes+, you need a category C entitlement.

You can find out which vehicles you are allowed to drive by visiting GOV.UK.

What licence do I need to drive a campervan?

The vast majority of campervans are built on a chassis that can bear no more than 3,500kg (3.5 tonnes). This means you only need a category B licence to drive a campervan in almost every case.

Newsletter Make an enquiry Download Brochures